Single coated dogs are those that do not have an undercoat but rather have only one top coat. Their hair growth cycle is longer than that of other dogs and thus they shed less fur. These types of dogs can either be long haired or short haired. The fur of the long-haired category is prone to matting.
The different breeds of dogs with a single coat include the Yorkshire terrier, poodles, dachshund, boxer, Dalmatians, Greyhounds and Maltese.
The Yorkshire terrier is also known as a Yorkie. It originated from Yorkshire in England in the 19th century. Yorkies have a unique coat that is long and silky which nearly resembles the human hair.
They rarely shed their hairs and thus are more ideal for people with allergies. A yorkie weighs about 7 pounds or less and measure 8-9 inches tall. Despite their small size, yorkies are very feisty. Yorkies are smart and vary in their personalities.
The poodle originated from Germany and France. In German, the dogs are referred to as Pudelin while in France they are called Caniche. It majorly used as a hunt dog to hunt waterfowls.
There are three different sizes of Poodles: the Toy, Miniature and the Standard. Of the three, the standard is the biggest while the toy is the smallest. The toy weighs 6-9 pounds and is about 10 inches tall, the Miniature is about 15-17 pounds and measures up to 15inches tall, and the Standard weighs 45-70 pounds depending on the gender and its height is from 15 inches and above.
Poodles are very playful and intelligent dogs. It is easy to train them and their performance is also great. The dog is also very affectionate. These dogs like to be given much attention and can become aggressive or even destructive if they are not given the attention they want.
Dachshunds are also referred to as badger dogs since they were originally used by hunters in German to hunt for badgers in 1600. Their body shapes was well adapted to hunting since they are long and low. This enabled them to fit in dens and reach for the badgers.
Dachshunds come in two sizes: the standard, which weighs 16-32 pounds and the miniature which weighs 11 pounds or less. They are also divided into three groups depending on their coats: smooth, long haired and wire haired. Their lifespan is about 12-15 years. They are protective and also enjoy human companionship.
They are very fearless and independent dogs since they are used to hunting. They can also be used as watchdogs because of their big barks. However, Dachshunds can be stubborn at times.
Greyhounds are known to be one of the oldest dog breeds. There is no specific origin for these dogs. They were majorly used for hunting since they are the fastest dogs of all breeds. They can run at a speed of 40 miles per hour. They are also associated with royalty.
The male greyhounds weigh about 65-70 pounds and are bout 26-30 inches tall. The female ones weigh 60-65 pounds.
Their coat is smooth and short and its body shape is slim. Their body is also adapted for speed in that it is streamlined and muscular with a long head and neck. These dogs are also affectionate and intelligent.
Boxer dogs originated from Germany and were mainly used as guard dogs. They have short hairs and their coats are silky. Male boxers weigh 70 pounds and measure 22.5-25 inches tall. The female boxers weigh 60 pounds and are 21-23.5 inches.
These breed of dogs is very alert. This is why they are mainly used for guarding purposes. They are classified into two based on the color of their coat: fawn and brindle. The fawn color resembles mahogany while the brindle has a pattern of black stripes like those of a tiger. Boxers might be tough but they are also friendly and affectionate.
Maltese dogs originated from Malta, in Italy. They are very small dogs and weigh around 4-8 pounds and grow up to 7-12 inches. They have long silky white hairs. They are lap dogs and were mainly associated with royalty in the past.
Maltese dogs are very picky in terms of what they eat. This is mainly because they are used to royal families where they are fed classy foods. They are gentle and affectionate dogs. They also love to play and are very active.
Dalmatians are coach dogs and can run alongside carriages or horse riders. It has a life span of 10-13 years. Both male and female Dalmatians weigh about 25-35 kg but their height differs. The male ones are about 60cm tall and the females are 55 cm.
Their coat is short and white covered with black spots. They shed too much. These dogs are very active and sensitive too. Dalmatians also have great intelligence. If well trained, they can make good watch dogs.
How to Tell if a Dog has a Single Coat
For the single coated dogs, there are observable characteristics that help to identify them.
- Their hair texture is soft and straight. However, some have curly hair.
- Short hair length. Most of the single coat dogs have short hairs although there are those with long hairs.
- Lose hair around the collar area.
- Tighter skin. When compared to other dog types, the single coated dogs have a much tighter skin.
- Bare spots on belly and under forelimbs. They lack hair/fur on their bellies and also on the under their forelimbs.
Single Coat Pros and Cons
Single coated dogs have their advantages and disadvantages as well.
- They have less shedding due to the fact that they lack an undercoat. They shed only small amounts throughout the year. People with allergic reactions are less affected by the single coated dogs.
- It is also easy to groom them especially the short haired ones.
- Single coated dogs with long hairs are likely to get fur entangled which makes it hard to groom them.
- They mostly adapted to living in warm climatic conditions and thus they struggle maintain their body temperatures in cold regions.
Single-coat Dog Grooming Tips & Ideas
If you happen to own any of the single coated pooches above following are ideas to brush, clip and bath their fur.
Brushing/Combing and Clipping
To brush a single coated dog, a slicker brush is the most recommended. Here are steps to clean a single coated dog:
- Slicker brush
Steps to brush a single coat dog
- Using the slicker brush, part your dog’s hair. You will need to brush from the root tip of the skin to ensure that all tangles are removes. This should be done gently to avoid pulling hairs or even scratching the dog’s skin and making it become aggressive.
- Run the comb through the hair to check if there are more tangles left. If there are, you will need to use the brush again to entangle them. However, some tangles might be stubborn and will need to be cut off using the scissors or deshedder.
- Trim the hairs to a shorter length especially the ones round the eyes, around nose and mouth and in the ears. The nails also need to be trimmed on the tips.
How to bath a single coat dog
You can bathe you dog in a bathtub or outside depending on your choice.
- Dog shampoo and conditioner
- Warm water
- Dilute the shampoo in water and make sure that the temperature of the water is ideal for your dog. It should not be too cold or too hot.
- Wet your dog’s fur and scrub it gently using your hands. You can also use a dog brush which is soft and gentle o your dog. Do the shampooing twice to ensure that you get rid of all the dirt.
- Rinse the dog until all shampoo is washed away.
- Apply the conditioner and let it rest for a while then rinse it off.
- Dry your dog using a towel or a hair dryer. Some dogs do not like being dried with the hair dryer because at times the heat is not well regulated. Some dogs shake off the excess water off their hair.
More on Dog Fur